Happy New Year!
Last winter break I begin to create and upload screencast videos on general business topics like SWOT analyses and NAICS codes. This winter break I’m beginning to work on updating those screencasts. I knew several were out of date due to database changes, but as I watch all my videos — most for the first time since last winter – and take notes about what needs to be updated, I’m a little distressed to discover all the other reasons the videos need to be updated. Sigh.
Out-of-date aspects I’ve identified so far:
- Database changes (ex. World DataBank, Hoovers, IBIS, Mintel, a new Euromonitor homepage although other aspects of that one are mostly unchanged, and the transformation of Business & Company Resource Center into Business Insights)
- New names for business school academic departments (ex. Business Administration is now Management, and so in my videos I refer to the old names of some of my subject guides.)
- NAICS now has 2012 codes (although I mentioned that expected change)
- Library chat box changes (our general iMinerva reference chat box is no longer opposite my personal chat box; I sometimes pointed out those communication options).
Some of these changes aren’t too big of a deal; students may not even notice them. But the database changes in most cases are too significant to ignore.
We are still using Camtasia as our main video software. It’s great that videos are built in segments. That means I just need to identify the segments of each video that need to be redone.
Needing to review videos for currency and upload revisions is perhaps one big difference between making overview and promotional videos like these versus short project-specific videos like this one for ECO 499 or the ones Chad Boeninger often provides for his students. Some videos could just be deleted when they get out of date or are no longer needed. But more general videos require a significant maintenance investment. That time needs to be budgeted and scheduled every year at the least.
This work is certainly time-consuming, even if less than creating a video from scratch. Last winter I didn’t bother to save my script notes for any of the videos. A case of “over-tidying” as my wife and I call it at home! Now I’ll have to take script notes from the videos before re-recording segments.
But I shouldn’t forget the anecdotal evidence I’ve received via email or in person that students do watch or at least skim through some of the videos. If I’m on the ball I’ll record the viewer stats from YouTube before I re-upload the updated version.
Yet as with Libguides or any work that requires maintenance, we all need to consider which videos really need to be updated and which could perhaps be deleted due to lack of use or recent lack of relevance due to curriculum changes.
My New Year’s resolutions for 2013:
- Switch from a winter break pattern of video creation and maintenance to a summer break pattern
- Add “to do” reminders in my calendar to update the videos annually
- Save script notes for each video
- Record viewing statistics from YouTube before replacing a video.